Monday, December 1, 2014

Sequencing Events in Three Little Pigs

Several weeks back I taught a lesson plan on the well-known story, The Three Little Pigs. Most children have had exposure to this text-- however, I wanted to refresh their memory and reread this story so all children had an equal opportunity at sequencing the events. I have taught a lesson plan similar to this in a Kindergarten classroom and children responded well to the lesson. I made a few modifications such as the length of the lesson, to make the lesson more fitting to the children in my classroom (as I've learned their attention spans are very short!)

I used a guided reading approach when reading this book-- making sure to ask questions about different events in the books some of the questions I asked were:

o   Why do you think the house made out of straw fell apart?

o   What material would have been stronger?

o   Why do you think the house made out of sticks fell apart?

o   What house was most strong?

o   What would you build your house with after reading this book?

o   Why do you think the wolf decided to trick the pigs at the end?
I believe it was necessary to use a guided reading approach when reading this book with the expectation that they would be able to sequence the events. Children were able to review the sequence of events with ease. This reassured me that they would do well when they went back to their tables to sequence the events with their sequence cards-- which they did. :-)

Next time, I would like to choose a book not as common and see if they can still sequence the events. This will show truly where their comprehension skills stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment