Saturday, December 6, 2014

Dr. Seuss’s ABC


 

I chose this book because I enjoyed the language it offers. There is tricky language play such as assonance patterns and subtle vowel changes such as in "when beetles battle", "ducks like lakes", and "ticks and clocks get mixed up with the chicks and tocks". I have large array of alphabet books in the classroom, but not many that keep their attention. I feel that children will find humor in this book while gaining alphabet recognition skills.

 
This would be a great book to use when doing a unit on the alphabet. The teacher can read this book aloud, and then have children create their own alphabet books. Children can create their own illustrations that connect to what is written in their alphabet books such as a word starting with the appropriate letter.



This lesson meets standards:


  • RL.PK.9 I can make connections between a story or poem and my own experiences
  • RL.PK.3 I can act out characters and events from a story or poem read aloud
  • RL. PK. 10 I can listen actively as an individual and as a member of a group to literature that is read aloud
  • RF.PK.1d I can recognize and name some upper and lowercase letters in the alphabet and can name the letters that are in my own name.
  • W.PK.2 I can either draw or explain information about a topic

No comments:

Post a Comment