Saturday, December 6, 2014

Rhyming Assessment

While doing progress report cards and assessing  whether or not they can recognize and produce rhymes I noticed children can recognize rhymes, but cannot produce rhymes. I am surprised by this, I would assume that if children can recognize whether or not two words rhyme they would be able to produce rhymes as well. Is this an issue of articulation or are they not fully understanding what rhyming words are.

We do a lot of activities in the classroom that teaching rhyming. We are always singing song and reading books that rhyme. Although I think it's good that they are having indirect exposure to rhyming I think they need more direct exposure. I was thinking of ways to increase their ability to produce rhymes such as rhyming bingo and repeating the rhyme if they have it on their board. Also, at circle, I could have children go around in a circle and see how long they can rhyme with a specific word.

Within the next month, I hope that all children will meet standard RF.PK.2a I can recognize and produce rhyming words (e.g. identify words that rhyme with /cat/ such as /bat/ and /sat/).

No comments:

Post a Comment