Saturday, December 6, 2014

Name Formation

While completing progress report cards and assessing name formation, I noticed that most children are able to write their name, however, the formation of the letters need some additional practice. Some children are writing letters backwards and others are writing in all capital letters. I understand that these are pre-writing skills they are demonstrating and that is typical for their age, but still think they should have the proper formation down pat by the end of the year.

I have been brainstorming some ideas to help them have more exposure to the proper formation of their name. For example, I wanted to begin a sign in book. Children will look for their name and then copy their name-- indicating they are present in the classroom. However, I am still looking for more ideas.

Also, RF.PK.1d. states, "I can recognize and name some upper and lowercase in the alphabet and can name the letters that are in my own name." I am noticing that children are identifying more letters that aren't in their name vs. that are in their name. I would think it would be the opposite.
I plan on sending home a letter to parents discussing the importance in teaching proper formation of letters in their name as well as being able to identify each letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment