Monday, November 17, 2014

Phoneme Manipulation

Over the weekend I began researching the Florida Center for Reading Research website which provided meaningful lesson plans in teaching phonemic awareness.  Some of the lesson plans I looked at looked slightly difficult for some of the children in my classroom, as they are at the very beginning stages of gaining phonemic awareness. However, I know that this is a very important skill to obtain upon entering kindergarten and ultimately, it is up to me to foster this skill in the classroom.

On Monday I implemented the lesson plan, without high expectations. The lesson plan I chose was entitled Phoneme Manipulating-- Phoneme Swap.   In this lesson, students decide which phoneme has been changed by comparing two pictures. For example, students say the name of the picture ("boat" and "coat") and then determine what sound has been changed by saying those two sounds (/b/ to /k/). Then the child will state where the sound was changed-- in this case, the beginning.

Half of the class understood what was being asked of them, whereas the other half was confused and unsure of where the sound was swapped. Coincidently, the children who successfully completed this lesson plan was those whom associate letters with letter sounds. The others, who had difficultly, do not quite have this skill down pat.

I hope to continue implementing lesson plans such as this in the classroom more frequently and observe their progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment