Saturday, September 27, 2014

Fall is Here!

     Monday marked the first day of fall. There are so many great books related to fall so I thought what a great week to share some of these books! One book the children particularly enjoyed was Leaves! Leaves! Leaves! by Nancy Wallace. In this book children joined Mama and Buddy Bear’s in a stroll through the seasons as they examined the development of leaves on their favorite trees. We also read There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves by Lucille Colondro, The Leaves on the Trees by Thom Wiley, Discovering My World: Leaves, Leaves, Leaves by Melvin and Gilda Berger, and many more!
    Children also worked on identifying upper and lower case letters G, H, I, J, K by matching upper case to lower case leaf letters.We're Going on a Leaf Hunt and types of apples children remembered from last week's lesson. As I wrote each word I also said the letters in the word and then had children recite them back to me. I had some children come up and draw illustrations under the word later in the day. We also made a Word Chart of words associated with fall. Children were able to identify many words! The words we came up with included leaves, apple pie, apples, apple cider. With some guidance, we then broke up these words in sub categories such as types of leaves as we referred back to our book
        Next week we are starting Handwriting Without Tears. I am very excited to blog about how child respond to this program!

Finally, here are some pictures I'd like to share!



Upper and lower case leaf matching


This is the handbook we will be using
for Handwriting Without Tears.

Books we read related to our fall theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment